Thursday, April 18, 2013

1 Nephi 3 Spiritual Courage

When Lehi asks his sons retrieve the scriptures from Jerusalem, Laman and Lemuel murmur, saying that he has required a hard thing of them, but Lehi knows that it is a commandment of the Lord.  He encourages Nephi to go, telling him that he will be favored of the Lord because he has not murmured.  Nephi responds with his famous "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded...he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 1 Nephi 3:7

Where did Nephi get the courage to go and then to stay even after things got rough?
1.  He was taught of goodly parents 1 Nephi 1:1.
2.  He prayed/humbled himself, and the Lord softened his heart. 1 Nephi 2:16.
3.  He was probably consistent/diligent (1 Nephi 2:19) in his daily practices, so he was prepared, like a runner for a race or like the the Ten Virgins of the parable.

How diligent am I in my daily practices of prayer, scripture study, obedience to the commandments and service?  Do I have sufficient oil in my lamp to meet the challenges of my day?  What is one think I can do better tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment