Wednesday, April 17, 2013

1 Nephi 2:8-15 Steadfast in God

Lehi loves all his children, even Laman and Lemuel, and desires their righteousness.  He tries to teach them by types "be like unto this valley, firm, steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!" 1 Nephi 2:10.  When they murmur and complain because "they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them."1 Nephi 2:12, Lehi speaks to them with power, "being filled with the Spirit" 1 Nephi 2:14.  While this temporarily changes their behavior, it does not change their hearts.

From a parenting point of view:

How do I interact with my children when their behavior or attitude is not wonderful?  Do I seek to have the Spirit to direct and guide me?  Do I seek a change in my heart as well as theirs?

Do I find myself murmuring against life circumstances because I know not the dealings of God?  How do I seek a change of heart so I am strong and steadfast and immovable?  How do I come to know God?

A quick search of "firm steadfast and immovable" returned several great articles, among them

"Steadfast and Immovable, Always Abounding in Good Works" by Elder Bednar

"Steadfast and Immovable" by Sylvia Allred, especially the last third of her talk.

I am so grateful for my Savior, for His atoning sacrifice, His unceasing love, and for His always remembering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment