Saturday, April 6, 2013

1 Nephi 2:2-7 Exodus: Physical and Spiritual

Lehi was commanded to leave Jerusalem and depart into the wilderness.  He forsook all his precious worldly possessions, taking only his family and whatever supplies they needed to live in the wilderness.  When he had traveled three days into the wilderness, he stopped and gave thanks.

The exodus theme is not uncommon in the scriptures.  Moses and the children of Israel first come to mind.  They were called out of the wickedness and bondage of Egypt to become clean and worship God.  In the New Testament, the Savior calls on us to figuratively leave the world and prays to the Father that we might be sanctified and kept from evil John 17:14-17.

Questions to ask and to answer:

In my past, do I see the hand of God leading me out of Babylon, either literally or figuratively?  Have I thanked God for that or do I murmur and lust after the "fleshpots of Egypt"?

How am I doing in my current journey out of Babylon?  Am I backsliding or drifting  into bad habits or do I "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ?"

What am I doing to make a difference in my journey, or someone else's journey, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment