Saturday, April 20, 2013

1 Nephi 3 revisited: Obedience

One thing I love about the scriptures is how you could take just a small section, study it forever, and still find new things.

I was rereading 1 Nephi 3:14-19, and I noticed the difference between why Laman and Lemuel are obedient and how they respond to adversity, and Nephi's reason for obedience and how he responds to adversity.

Laman and Lemuel are obedient because they are doing their duty, being obedient to their earthly father, so when they had tried and failed, they consider the job done.

Nephi is obedient because he considers it a commandment from his Heavenly Father, so when he tries and fails, and tries and fails again, he doesn't give up.  The Lord has prepared a way for him, and Nephi's not going to give up until he is successful.

Now the hard questions.  Why am I obedient?  How faithful am I in persisting when being obedient is not easy?

It reminds me of when Peter came to the Savior and asked how many times do I have to forgive my brother?  till seven times?  And the Savior answers, "Until seventy times seven." Matthew 18:21-22.

How many times do I have to keep trying?  I guess as many times as it takes or until I hear otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment