Saturday, July 6, 2013

1 Nephi 7:2-5 The Power of the Word of the Lord

When the sons of Lehi return to Jerusalem to bring Ishmael and his family back with them into the wilderness, they gained favor by speaking the words of the Lord.  Nephi says "the Lord did soften the heart of Ishmael...insomuch that they took their journey with us." vs 5

This reminds me of Alma 31:5, "And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to that which was just--yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them--therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God."

Ishmael left his home and took his family into the wilderness because his heart was touched by the word of the Lord.

There have been many times in my life when I have been touched by the word of the Lord, but how am I doing today?  Have I prepared myself to hear and hearken to His word?  Because hearing is not enough.  I must be willing, through His grace, to do, to change and to be who He is calling me to be.

Am I speaking the word of the Lord?  Am I speaking love, truth, kindness and peace?

I noticed that Nephi didn't say, "They listened to me," or "They listened to my words."  He gave all the credit to God.  It reminds me of a great song, "Window to His Love."  You can listen to it and read the lyrics here (scroll down).

No comments:

Post a Comment