Wednesday, June 26, 2013

1 Nephi 7:1 Marriage and Families

Sometimes a post sits and stews in the back of my brain until something taps it and sets it free.  I read a great post today on the Deep Roots at Home website.  There is a poem by Louise B. Eavey from a mother's point of view concerning her son.  The poem ends, "Expectantly I yield to Thee The little boy Thou gavest me."

This touched my heart in many ways.  Our children are God's precious children, and as much as we love and cherish them, He loves them with His own perfect love that is far beyond our own.

In  The Family: A Proclamation to the World, it states "We...solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children"

and further down

"Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live."

The Lord provides for the physical safety of Lehi's family by having them leave Jerusalem.  He provides for their spiritual safety by having them retrieve the records contained on the brass plates.  Now the Lord provides for their future safety by calling Ishmael's family to go into the wilderness and to the promised land with them.  (It's interesting/amusing that this is one errand Laman and Lemuel do not murmur about).  Lehi's and Ishmael's children will marry and have families of their own, and their seed will continue long after Lehi and Ishmael are gone.

Do I recognize my family as being heaven-ordained?

How does that affect my daily interactions with my husband and children?

How well am I preparing my children to be husband/wives/parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment