Saturday, July 20, 2013

Segue: Mercy and Grace

As I reflect on the scriptures and write these posts, I really want to make cumulative changes for the better and get frustrated when I slip back into old patterns.

Fortunately, a few days ago I recalled the introduction to a Sunday School lesson a number of years ago.  The teacher was an engaging and intelligent man.  He began by sharing the true story of a woman who decided that she would take the principle being taught that Sunday and live it perfectly for the next week, then the next week, she would add a new principle and live it perfectly as well.  While I began making mental plans to try to do the same, he said, "She had a mental breakdown."  Whoa.  That stopped me in my tracks.

Sometimes I forget about grace and mercy and only judge myself on my perceived shortcomings and lack of progress.  I know that makes me less than gracious in my interactions with my family and others as well.  I am so grateful for the tender mercies of my Father in Heaven, for His reminders that I am His beloved child and that I don't have to be perfect for Him to love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment