Tuesday, June 11, 2013

1 Nephi 6:1-6 Pleasing unto God

I'm such a perfectionist.  I wrote this some time ago but didn't post it because it wasn't "perfect."  It was too short, too obvious, not good enough.  But something I read today by Darlene Schacht reminds me that God doesn't require us to be perfect. "Our God is a god of second chances, forgiveness and grace."

In this brief chapter, Nephi delineates what he will and will not include in his record. He will not include the genealogy or "account" of his father, since that is included elsewhere.

What he does include is a powerful witness of the love and power of God.

Knowing the plates are small, Nephi only wants to include "the things of God" that he may persuade men to "come unto God."  He knows that the things he writes will not be pleasing to the world, but they will be pleasing to God.

I first heard "I Want to be a Window to His Love" by Julie de Azevedo in college and immediately fell in love with it.  The first verse begin,

I want to be a window to His love
So when you look at me you will see Him
I want to be so pure and clear
That you won’t even know I’m here
‘Cause His love will shine brightly through me

You can listen to it and read the rest of the lyrics here:

I think that's what Nephi wanted, to be a window to God's love.

If the way I live my live is my record, how well am I filling it?  If my life is sacred and has value, am I filling it with that which is pleasing to God?  Is my life a testimony of what I say I believe, and is it leading my family and others to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment