Wednesday, May 8, 2013

1 Nephi 4:20-38 Choices

One man in a wicked environment chose to follow God.  While my immediate surroundings are peaceful, the world is rapidly increasing in wickedness and distancing itself from God.  The world calls "evil good, and good evil." Isaiah 5:20-21

How can I keep myself prepared to hear and follow God when he calls?  Even when the "whole world" cries one thing, how do I keep my ears and heart turned towards God?

We see Nephi prepared to do God's work, and I think Zoram is also prepared.  Of all the people in Jerusalem who were chosen to leave Jerusalem, there is Lehi and his family, Ishmael and his family, and Zoram, a servant of Laban.

We know little of Zoram's life before this time, but we do know he is chosen by God to accompany Lehi's group into the wilderness, and is later commended as being a true friend to Nephi and is promised that his descendants would be blessed and prospered in the new land.

I think when Nephi speaks to Zoram, the Spirit of God conveys the truth of his words.  Whether Zoram  was outwardly religious or righteous before this time or not, when he heard Nephi speak, Zoram chooses to follow the path to freedom, the path of obedience, and the path to God.





No comments:

Post a Comment