Saturday, February 23, 2013

1 Nephi 1:6

When Lehi prayed and beheld the pillar of fire and the accompanying revelation, it appears that he was in an isolated place, pouring out his heart in prayer.

How many instances are recorded of revelation coming from prayer and pondering? (Joseph Smith JSH 1:10-17, Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon D&C 76:19, Joseph F. Smith 138:1-2, Enos Enos 1:3-4, the Brother of Jared Ether 2 & 3, to name a few)

In the Oct 2011 General Conference, Elder Richard G. Scott shared
Pondering a passage of scripture can be a key to unlock revelation and the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost.  "The Power of Scripture"
Elder Scott gave instruction on "How to Obtain Revelation" in the April 2012 GenCon,
When I am faced with a very difficult matter, this is how I try to understand what to do. I fast. I pray to find and understand scriptures that will be helpful. That process is cyclical. I start reading a passage of scripture; I ponder what the verse means and pray for inspiration. I then ponder and pray to know if I have captured all the Lord wants me to do. Often more impressions come with increased understanding of doctrine. I have found that pattern to be a good way to learn from the scriptures.
In Oct 2009 GenCon address "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance", Elder Scott shared this powerful example of the results of pondering and praying.
I sought a more private location, where I continued to write the feelings that flooded into my mind and heart as faithfully as possible. After each powerful impression was recorded, I pondered the feelings I had received...I received further impressions, and the process of writing down the impressions, pondering, and praying for confirmation was repeated. Again I was prompted to ask, “Is there more I should know?” And there was...Had I not responded to the first impressions and recorded them, I would not have received the last, most precious guidance.
What fraction of my day do I dedicate to scripture study, prayer and meditation?

What am I receiving, or failing to receive, as I heed this counsel?

To what degree am I obedient/worthy, and how does that affect my ability to receive revelation?

No comments:

Post a Comment